Thursday, May 3, 2018

Planting for Butterflies, Hummering Birds and Bees


I am sorry this picture is not bigger but with our computers we can zoom.  I am always getting mail wanting me to donate money for something.  Today it was for the Monarch Butterflies I wrote them back I was doing my part  I have about 15 butterfly weeds,  may be more than that.  They wanted me to give $35.00 to adopt an acre of land,   they are planting for butterflies.   Now how do I know they are doing what they say,  they did not say where,  just on their route.  As you can see I have them here.  At least I did.  I do not have the butterflies I did have. All it cost me to plant the butterfly weed was about $10.00.  I bought 2 plants and now I have about 15 in my  yard maybe more,  they multiply well.  If you can find them you can dig them up in the woods, but they are not easy to transplant.  Besides why not leave them be and buy one, lots easier and the Butterfly has some in the woods and in your, buy your neighbor one.   Start a Monarch Butterfly block.  They can lay their eggs no one will bother their little worm (caterpillar).  All the flowers I buy I look for the little butterfly sign.  We have lost 90% of the Monarch Butterflies.  We  civilized people don't much care what we destroy as long as we have what we want.  Big homes and super highways.  The Indian cared for the land they did not litter and destroy.  They cared about the water and the land.   I am not knocking progress but I do think we should feed the other things  when we destroy their habitat.
  
   
This is the yellow Butterfly Weed I no longer have this one rain too much,  something happen to it.  I ordered the orange it is a pretty orange and I did not have any orange in my yard.  Every yard needs some orange in it to brighten things up.  Nothing does it like orange.


I love all Butterflies and we need them.  I have this picture in my kitchen,  along with black and white cows and sunflowers.  I have only seen two butterflies this year.  They are usually here when the red tips blooms but I saw none this year.  If you live in an apartment or digging is not your thing plant your  milk   weed in a large pot.  They form a fiber like mass on the root is why they are hard to transplant.  In fact Carrel accidently dug mine up when I noticed it was gone I ask him he show me where he planted it.  I dug it up and told him that was an old rotten board and threw it out.  He show me where he found and I decided to put it back and sure enough it came back, my milk weed.



I have this one in a 5x7 in our reading room.


I have never seen a Humming bird  or a Butterfly  light on the Gold Strum most people call it the  Black Eyed Susan.  Mostly all it does is take over all the other flowers.
Thank you for watching my garden grow and bloom,  and hope you grow one of your own.  Remember to plant for our friends,  Butterflies,  humming birds and Bees.  Happy gardening from Carrel and I,  Juanita.

No comments:

Post a Comment