Monday, February 11, 2013

Clean up Time



Sad isn't it.  It is that time of the year when nothing looks alive.  I was pulling up plants that were suppose to be evergreen, well they were not.   I leave leaves in my flower beds until winter is almost over.  While I was pulling up those died plants I found two bulbs. I just laid out of the box and left.
Growing on top of the ground.
 The weather was pretty nice warmer than most of the days we have had, so I decided I would take the leaves off of the bed where I planted some of my bulbs and I found this one growing on top of the ground.  I kept  moving leaves and found another one just laying on top of the ground.  Carrel and I planted it.  This on was already rooted and growing.  It amazes me how dumb I can be.  We planted about seventy five bulbs last fall.





This month should be clean up month in the south.  You northern friends may have too much snow still.  Cut rose bushes and build new flower beds, so they will be ready in spring for planting.  Rose growers cut back you roses to no more than one foot.  Carrel won't do this so the ones that grow extra tall I go behind him and cut off some more.  Just as soon as your leaves on you roses start to bud out you should start spraying  for black spot.  I am really looking forward to spring time and my roses.  Next month you fertilize.  Start exercising so you won,t be so sore during planting time. I hope this has been a helpful blog page.  I thank you for watching my garden grow and  bloom, hope you will grow one of your own.   Happy gardening to you from Carrel and I, Juanita.






  



















i

1 comment:

  1. I was so glad you told me several years ago after you took that Master gardeners class to cut my rose bushes back to about 1 foot around Valentines Day. I did it last year and had my best blooming year--still not like yours. But I have done it again this year and looking forward to beautiful roses.

    ReplyDelete