Wednesday, February 13, 2013

All about Calico

Calico is our cat.  She heard me unlock the back door to go out to take some pictures of the sky.  Looks like we may get rain again.  Arkansas has not had enough rain in the last several years.  We will get very little in the summer, so I do not complain.   Calico wants in but she will not stay.  She wants to eat Missy's food.  Calico's  food is in the storage room in the carport, she is getting so fat.  When I bought this house so many  tried to give me a cat or a dog.  Ken my preacher son-in-law wanted to, I told him to give me Calico, no he wanted to keep her.  Every time I went to their house she would follow me around and let me pet her some.  So he brought me another one.  I fed her, tried to touch her but could not.  When I went out she left.  I put her food out under a window so I could see if she came to eat.  Always fed her in the back yard.  I would have to go look for her all over the neighborhood.  Once she climbed a tree in Carrel yard( we were not married at that time.)  Went next door to Tommy's house, ask his sister if my cat had been around.  She said no.  She had called me a few nights before and told me my cat was hungry and wanted in the house.  I told her I fed her every night, that is when she seemed to come home to eat.  I fed her the same thing that Ken fed her.  Then the food was not being eaten at night so I knew she was not coming home any more.  Ken ask me how the cat was doing,  I told him I did not know I gave the dogs in the neighborhood the cat food everyday and still filled her bowl with fresh food every night.  Ken and Debbie brought me Calico and we were best friends, but she did not want in the house.   I did not know she was going to have babies.  I started going to Louisiana to sit with a sister-in-law every other week.  I bought her a water holder and one for food so it would last her a week. Carrel would come over and make sure she had what she needed.  When it came time for babies I put her a box with a bed in it.  When I was home she would sleep in it.  Of course I was gone when the babies came.  When I came home she always met me, but I did notice that she came from one of the neighbor houses.  But this time she did not meet me.  I called and walked over to Carrel's to see if he had seen her.  Then I saw her come from across the street.  The young mother who lived across from Carrel came out and said she had her babies under her carport.  They had stayed up with  her.  I thanked her and took mother and babies home.  I only saved one kitten.  I do not know what happen to the others. One day a dog was barking under my carport and had the last baby backed up in the corner at the door.  I ran them off and brought the baby in the house.  I took it to my grand daughter's and gave it to her.  She was yellow striped with gold eyes.  She has been very happy.  Calico had another litter and something got all of them.  Carrel bought me a pet door and put it in after that.   I decided she had gone through enough so had her fixed.  She would not use a litter box and after cleaning up I let her be happy outside.  By the way the lady next door to Carrel, Tommy's sister told me she lied to me she had the cat in her house.  I did not know what to say.  I would like to see her, so she let me in.  The cat is happy, all is well that ends well.  She says she still will not use a little box. Carrel says she lets them out at night.  Since Callie move here I have not had any mice, not even in the storage room.  I keep my bird seed in that room and you would think the mice would have a  grand time.  No, Calico let them know this was her house.  However Calico has killed doves and three humming birds and four baby squirrels and a snake.  I have not seen anything at my back door since the humming birds.  I yelled at her so hard and loud until she does not bring them to me any more.  I hope you have enjoyed reading about our Calico.  I thank you for watching my garden grow and bloom and hope you will grow one of your own. Happy gardening to you from carrel and I, Juanita
Looking at me through the window.  Calico has torn the window screen up.  At night she jumps up there and has scared me.
.









i

1 comment:

  1. You have to put up with a good bit if irritation for the love of a cat.

    ReplyDelete